Can I Make Money Playing Foosball?
Most of us have dreamed about the possibility of making money from our favorite sports and pastimes at some point. Those with a passion for foosball are no different. If you seem to have a talent for the game, beating your family and friends, you may start to wonder, how good could I be?
Only by extending the circle of people you compete against will you find the answer to that question. Foosball tournaments are held across the United States and globally, offering prize funds of various sizes. While the prize pots are not as consistently large as they were back in the heyday of the 1970s and 1980s, they still offer a decent payday for the best foosball players.
Get Yourself Foosball Tournament Ready
Making money from foosball however, like any competitive sport, is tough. There is a professional circuit and it will take time to improve your game to take on the best. Yet that is no reason not to try if you believe you can make money from the game you love.
There are tournaments such as state championships right across the US. Try attending one or two of these to assess the standard and whether you think you could compete. If you are unable to attend in person, search for online videos of tournament games instead. Either way, you will get a taste of the standards you can expect at the tournaments that you hope to compete in.
As with any sport, you only become better through practice, and then by practicing some more. Having the best foosball table and foosball balls you can afford will help your improvement, as will consistently practicing against the best opponents you know.
Ultimately, you will only truly know if you have what it takes to make money from foosball when you start playing in tournaments. This can be intimidating to begin with, though attending one as a spectator can help you prepare yourself for the environment and know what to expect. Try to have fun. This is a game you love and you do not want to lose sight of that. Whatever the outcome, you will have a far better idea of whether you have the ability to make some cash from foosball or not.
Even though you may be entering professional tournaments, you will not be immediately throwing in your job to hit the professional foosball circuit. Yet by playing in competitions, you could win the occasional bit of handy extra cash. If you prove to be very talented and are winning consistently, you may one day be able to join the lucky ones who count foosball as their profession.
There are professional foosball tournaments held across the world offering prize money. Federations, such as the global ITSF or the American IFP tour stage these tournaments, attracting the world’s best foosball players. Online foosball schedules show all the upcoming tournaments and the prize fund on offer. From state championships to national and world titles, there is a whole network of tournaments with prize funds ranging from $2,000 to $100,000 and more.
Unless you can find sponsorship, any income from tournaments will be variable depending on your success on the foosball table. According to simplyhired.com, the average wage of a professional foosball player is $74,000. However, even if you are good enough to hit this level, there are still further considerations to take into account. Costs to come out of any salary include:
- Travel to tournaments
- Overnight hotel stays
- Food and drink while away
- Tournament entry fees
Depending on your stage of life, the lifestyle may not be right for you either.
Turning your passion for foosball into a potential money earner is not impossible. However you should expect it to be a gradual process and very much a learning curve. Do not immediately anticipate giving up the day job. Tournaments offering prize money will attract seasoned professionals, as well as those hoping to turn professional.
Only by having a go will you satisfy your curiosity as to whether you have what it takes to make money from the foosball table. With a sensible and realistic approach, it could be a rewarding and enjoyable experience regardless of how much money you can win.
Can I Turn Foosball into a Business or Additional Revenue Stream?
Foosball offers a profitable business opportunity. Here is how you can convert your love for foosball into an income-generating activity.
Whether you are a foosball enthusiast or an entrepreneur, foosball is an excellent business idea. The sport is growing in popularity and is becoming one of the ubiquitous additions to sports bars and recreational centers. In this article, we offer ideas on how to make foosball a reliable source of income.
Benefits of Foosball Tables to Businesses
Having a coin-operated foosball table at your business premises has several advantages. Some of them are:
- A competitive edge: Most businesses that offer table games do not have foosball on their list. As a result, having a foosball table at your bar, cafe, or gaming joint offers your clients something extra.
- It requires minimal staff presence: Like a pool table, foosball requires little support from your staff. All you need is a coin-operated commercial foosball table, and you will only be needed when your customers need coins.
- A place for all: If you plan to have a recreational facility for the whole family, a foosball table is a suitable addition.
- Free professional training: If you play professional foosball, then having a foosball business offers you free training partners. With them, you can hone your skills at no extra cost. It is for the same reason that most athletes also have their own academies and gyms.
Tips on Starting a Foosball Business
Get the Necessary Skills
If you have never run a foosball business before, then it is time to learn a few business management skills. Fortunately, you do not need a college degree for this. You can use the internet or ask an entrepreneurial friend.
It would be best if you also learn how to play foosball, as you will have to offer basic training to new players. Alternatively, you can hire one or more qualified individuals to run the business.
Choose Your Mode of Business
Starting a successful business requires proper planning and efficient execution. In the foosball business, you should start by deciding how you will offer the sport. You can open a foosball joint, where there are only foosball tables and nothing else. If you already have a running business establishment such as a sports bar, you might only need to add a foosball table as one of the options.
Choose the Right Foosball Table
A foosball table is an essential investment in this business. Therefore, you need to consider certain factors during the purchase to ensure you get the best foosball table for your money, which are:
- Quality: You need to pick the right material and design for the table. While most professional foosball tables are of top-notch quality, this is not a given. Ensure your table has strong metal rods, counterbalanced men, an adjustable coin slot, and a waterproof covering.
- Durability: Since your foosball table will be for public use, it should be able to withstand some mishandling by players. Whether you are buying a kids' foosball table or an outdoor foosball table, ensure it is made of solid wood instead of plastic. While the latter is lighter, it is less durable.
- Size: You can buy foosball tables of different sizes depending on who your expected clients are. For example, if you are adding it to your café, then a coffee foosball table is more appropriate. It would be best if you also had a small foosball table for kids.
If you need to attract professional foosball players to your business, then consider adding tournaments to your list of offers. Start with in-house tournaments and improve to advanced arrangements over time.
Maintain Your Foosball Tables
Cleaning and maintaining your foosball tables ensures your players get the same quality entertainment every day. Besides, a professional foosball table is an expensive investment. With proper maintenance, the table will serve for years. Some maintenance tips are:
- Lubricate the rods with liquid silicone at least once a month, or after every two months.
- Fix broken parts as soon as possible.
- Keep the table indoors; folding foosball tables are the right choice if you plan to use them outdoors.
- Keep food and drinks away from the foosball table.
- Do not allow players or children to sit on the table.
Can you turn foosball into a profitable business line? Yes. Follow the above tips to get started. You can also read our foosball table reviews to find the best table for your players.